- November 16, 2022
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Quickbooks
Users frequently report getting error code H202 in QuickBooks while switching to multi-user mode. This problem typically denotes a blocked multi-user connection to the server machine that houses your QuickBooks company files (QBW). You won’t be able to access the QuickBooks company file if you can’t connect to the server computer.
What is Error H202 in QuickBooks?
QuickBooks company files (QBW) are kept on a server computer on a multi-user network. Workstations are any additional computers linked to the network that don’t house QBW files. H202 QuickBooks issue occurs when a workstation is unable to access a corporate file that is located on another computer. This is what the error message says:
Error code: H202
QuickBooks requires assistance connecting because this company file is located on a different machine.
Here’s how to fix this problem:
Open QuickBooks Database Server Manager from the start menu on the machine where the company file is stored. In order to repair the connection, the Database Server Manager will analyse your files.
What Results In Error H202 In QuickBooks?
When QuickBooks Desktop tries to connect to the company file but is unable to communicate with the server for one of the following reasons, error code H202 is generated:
- Unsuitable hosting configuration settings
- Incoming and outgoing communication is being obstructed by the firewall on the server computer.
- An issue with the DNS server.
- The IP address of the host system or server holding the company file cannot be obtained by QuickBooks.
- On the server machine, certain internal QuickBooks services like QuickBooksDBXX or QBCFMonitor are not active.
- Network data file (.ND) damage or corruption.
How Can QuickBooks Error H202 Be Fixed?
NOTE: Backup your QBW file before using the remedies described in this section. You can always go back and restore the original data if you do this.
To correct the problem, Intuit advises using the QuickBooks Database Server Manager. However, if you’ve already tried that and the H202 issue persists, try the following fixes:
NOTE: Implement the solutions in the following order for best results.
Solution 1 – Check the network connection
To check the network connection, ping your server from the workstation that is displaying error H202.
NOTE: You must enable “Network Discovery” on your server computer and any workstations receiving the error if you don’t know the name of your server.
The instructions to ping your server are as
- The instructions to ping your server are as follows:
- Cmd should be entered into the search field in the Run window.
- Press the Enter key after typing ping [servername] to ping the server name from your workstation.
NOTE: Make sure there is a space between ping and the name of your server. When doing this step, avoid enclosing the server name in brackets as well.
You should fix the network if you notice packet loss or receive a delayed response. If so, move on to Solution 2.
Solution 2 – Make use of the QuickBooks File Doctor tool.
To fix any network problems that might be impeding multi-user connections to the server, utilise the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool.
Read this: With QuickBooks File Doctor, resolve network and company file difficulties.
Try the following fix if QuickBooks problem H202 is still present.
Solution 3 – Set up your firewall so that QuickBooks Desktop can run.
Verify that QuickBooks is not being blocked by the firewall settings on the server PC. For comprehensive instructions on how to add QuickBooks ports exception on the firewall, read the post titled “Configure Firewall and Internet security settings for QuickBooks Desktop.”
Once you’ve configured the firewall settings, try launching QuickBooks in multi-user mode on your desktop. Try the following solution if the issue doesn’t go away.
Solution 4 – Verify that the QuickBooks Services are active.
Verify that the server computer is running QuickBooks services. To see if the QuickbooksDBXX services are active, follow the steps described below. Then, repeat same steps for QBCFMonitorService.
- Type Run a search in the Windows search box.
- Type services.msc into the Run window, then press Enter.
- Browse the list in the Services pane, then choose QuickBooksDBXX by double-clicking.
NOTE: Your version of QuickBooks is called XX notes.
- It opens the QuickBooksDBXX Properties window. As the Startup Type, choose Automatic.
- Either Running or Started must be selected as the Service status. Otherwise, click Start.
- Select the Recovery tab next.
- Select Restart the Service from the First failure, Second failure, and Subsequent failures drop-down lists.
- To save the changes, click Apply and then OK.
The procedure for QBCFMonitorService is the same. Once you’ve finished, launch QuickBooks on each computer. Switch to Multi-user Mode can be selected by clicking the File menu. Everything should open properly if that’s the case.
Solution 5 – Windows Hosts File should contain your server.
You must change the Windows hosts file in order to add your computer server. Follow these steps to do so:
- To access the Windows hosts file (on the machine producing the error), navigate to any of the following locations:
- Click the hosts file twice.
- Select Notepad when asked “How do you want to open this file?”
- Enter the server’s IP address and server name after the last IP address in the hosts file.
NOTE: Use TAB key instead of space bar for separating IP address and server name.
- From the File menu, choose Save.
- Click Exit.
Try opening the company file in multi-user mode after completing the aforementioned steps. Continue to the next solution if this one doesn’t work.
Solution 6 – New Folder for Your QBW File Creation
Next, make a new folder specifically for your QBW file:
- Make a new folder on the server computer.
- To share company files, share the folder and configure Windows access permissions.
- QuickBooks Database (QBW) file should be copied to the new folder..
- Launch your corporate file once more in multi-user mode.
Solution 7 – Set Local Files as Your Hosting
By taking the following actions, you can make sure that no other client system is attempting to host the same business file:
- Press F2 to bring up the Product Information screen after starting QuickBooks.
- Select Hosting to reflect “local files only” under Local Server Information in the lower left corner.
Solution 8 – Restart the database server manager for QuickBooks.
Restarting Database Server Manager has been credited with helping many QuickBooks users fix the H202 problem. This is how:
- Type services.msc into the Run window, then hit OK.
- Select Stop from the shortcut menu by selecting QuickBooksDB19 (2009), QuickBooksDB18 (2008), or QuickBooksDB17 (2007).
- Start can be chosen with a right-click. Next, shut the window.
- List the extensions for popular file types.
- Select Explore > Tools > Folder Options by performing a right-click on the Windows Start button.
- Clear the box labelled “Hide extensions for known file types” by selecting the View tab.
- Once more, select the Show hidden files and folders option from the View menu, then uncheck the box next to “Hide protected operating system files.”
- In Warning window, click Yes, and then hit OK.
- Close Windows Explorer.
Solution 9 – Recreate the.ND file after deletion
To fix the problem, try removing and generating a new corrupt.ND file:
- Type *.ND into the Windows search box, then press Enter.
- Right-click the.ND file in the Results window and select Delete.
- When asked to confirm deletion, do so.
- Click Windows Start after that.
- Click QuickBooks Database Server Manager under All Programs.
- On the Scan Folder tab, click.
- Browse the corporate file folder after clicking Add Folder.
- Click the OK button after selecting the company file. The Folder with QuickBooks company files field contains the company file’s path.
- To begin the scanning process, click Scan.
- Click Close once the scan
How else can you proceed?
After trying all of the aforementioned fixes, if the issue still exists, you can ask for assistance from the QuickBooks customer support team.
Keep in mind that data loss can result from improperly implementing the aforementioned methods. It is advised that you back up your firm file as a result. However, employing Stellar Repair for QuickBooks® Software can be beneficial if you believe that your company file is seriously corrupted or destroyed. You can use the software to fix all the issues with your QuickBooks application and the QBW file.
Why Choose Stellar Repair for Software from QuickBooks®?
- Without altering the original file, the sophisticated QuickBooks File Repair Software can restore severely corrupted and damaged QuickBooks (QBW) files.
- Can assist in reducing the likelihood of persistent mistakes, programme freezes, and data loss.
- Recovers all of the company’s data, including that of its clients, suppliers, and staff.
- An interactive user interface quickly reads a QBW file and shows a preview of any data that can be recovered.
- Can QuickBooks backup files be used to retrieve data? (QBB)
- Supports both QuickBooks 2021 and earlier iterations.