- November 25, 2022
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Quickbooks
Keeping your Windows applications updated is essential to keep applications free from errors and improve their efficiency and productivity. QuickBooks and its supporting components need to be updated regularly like other Windows applications.However, it is also true that most QuickBooks errors arise performing the update. It happens because the QuickBooks update process requires external files to be downloaded and installed on Windows, which first needs to be verified by the Windows operating system due to security concerns. One such error is QuickBooks Error 12029 that appears while downloading QuickBooks Desktop and payroll updates. This article will discuss the causes of the 12029 error and some most effective troubleshooting steps.
Symptoms that Shows up when you get Error 12029
- You see an error code 12029 in the payroll update window.
- QuickBooks might quit unexpectedly while downloading or installing the payroll updates.
- You might not be able to access the payroll update section in QuickBooks.
- Your Windows OS starts responding slow to your inputs.
What Causes Error 12029 in QuickBooks Payroll Update?
When a user attempts to upgrade the Payroll function or QuickBooks Desktop application, an issue occurs in the software. This occurs when Windows operating system bugs and configuration issues prevent QuickBooks from connecting to the internet. Each cause of the QuickBooks update problem 12029 is listed below.
- If your internet connection is down or disconnected.
- Windows Firewall or third-party security applications like antivirus or anti-malware interrupt the download of the update file.
- You might have selected another internet browser as default instead of Internet Explorer.
- If the SSL certificate used by the application is invalid or expired.
Troubleshooting Steps to Fix Error 12029
Troubleshooting Step 1: Verify Internet Connectivity
A steady internet connection is necessary for the update process to run without interruption. You can check your internet connection settings using the steps below to make sure that a misconfigured internet connection is not to blame for error 12029.
- Open Internet Explorer and access any safe website like www.google.com.
- If you can access the website, then follow the next troubleshooting step.
- If you get an error while accessing the website, check your internet connection settings for any misconfigurations.
- Make sure the time and date of your computer are set correctly.
- Open Internet Explorer, click Tools at the top, and select Internet Options.
- Now under the Advanced tab, click Reset/Restore Defaults.
- Hit Apply and then OK.
- Run the update for QuickBooks Desktop and Payroll and check the status of QuickBooks Error 12029.
Troubleshooting Step 2: Exclude QuickBooks from Firewall Settings
A user may occasionally be prevented from downloading updates by Windows Firewall if it determines that the update files pose a risk to the integrity of the system. By adding QuickBooks to the list of applications that are permitted to send and receive data from the internet, as described below, we will eventually enable QuickBooks to download updates without any problems.
Click the Start button on your Desktop and type Windows Firewall in the Search Programs and Files search box.
- Click Windows Firewall from the list of programs.
- Under the Advanced settings right click the Inbound Rules and click New Rule.
- Under the Programs, click Next and select This Program Path.
- Select the QuickBooks file location and click Next.
- Choose Allow the Connection and then click Next.
- Make sure to check-mark all the checkboxes and hit Next.
- Type a name for this rule and click Finish.
- To set the outbound rules, repeat the same procedure of setting the Inbound rules.
- Make sure to select Outbound instead of Inbound this time.
- For more detailed instructions, follow the article (How to Add Exclusion to Windows Security Firewall)
Troubleshooting Step 3: Update Internet Connection Settings for Resolving Update Error 12029
You won’t be able to download and install the payroll updates if your internet connection is configured in such a way that QuickBooks is unable to communicate with the update server. Update your internet connection settings according to the steps below to ensure that QuickBooks has no trouble downloading updates.
- Open Internet Explorer and select Tools under the Internet Options.
- Under the General tab, click Delete from the list, select Temporary Internet Files, then click Delete
- Under the Connections tab, click LAN Settings and verify that the Automatically Detect Settings checkbox has a check-mark.
- Make sure the Proxy Servers field is blank and click OK.
- Click the Advanced tab and make sure SSL 2.0 & SSL 3.0 is check marked.
- Now scroll down and ensure that there is a check-mark on TLS 1.2 checkbox TLS1.0 and TLS 1.1 checkbox is blank.
Troubleshooting Step 4: Exclude QuickBooks from Third Party Security Applications
We are unable to give you a single way to remove QuickBooks from each program’s restricted list because there are so many antivirus, anti-spyware, and ad blockers that users can employ. If any of these applications are the cause of this error, you may need to get in touch with their customer service or dial +1-866-973-9785 to get QuickBooks Error 12029 fixed.
You can read our article on QuickBooks Desktop Error -6094, 0 to learn more about removing QuickBooks from the blocklists of some common antivirus.
Troubleshooting Step 5: Install/Update QuickBooks Desktop Security Certificate
Any software’s security certificate verifies the legitimacy of the program, and only programmes with valid security certificates are able to download updates from the update server. We will update the QuickBooks security certificate using the steps listed below to fix error 12029 in QuickBooks.
- Right-click the QuickBooks Desktop icon and click Properties.
- Under the Shortcut tab, click Open File Location and hit OK.
- Right-click the QuickBooks application’s .exe file and click Properties.
- Under the Digital Signatures tab, select QuickBooks from the list and then hit Details.
- Now click View Certificate, and under the General tab, click Install Certificate.
- Under the Certificate Import Wizard window, make sure to set Current User as the Store Location and click Next.
- Click Next and Finish.
- Click OK on the import successful window.
Following the suggested troubleshooting steps should assist you in fixing QuickBooks problem 12029. Users who find the aforementioned troubleshooting challenging since it entails configuring Windows components can get assistance from our QuickBooks experts. Call our Payroll Helpline Number at +1-866-973-9785 for immediate assistance if you are experiencing this error.