- November 23, 2022
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Quickbooks
When using bank feeds, updating QuickBooks, or visiting any service for which you have not paid a subscription, such as Go Payment, among many other situations, QuickBooks Error 404 may appear in the programme. The Windows firewall or security software, which prevents QuickBooks from connecting to the internet, is typically to blame for this issue, but there are a few other less common culprits as well. In this article, we’ll talk about the reasons why QuickBooks update error 404 occurs as well as how to fix it.
What Does Error 404 in QuickBooks Mean?
When a file became contaminated, when a file was installed incorrectly, or when crucial files in the QB Database were removed or corrupted, QuickBooks error 404 service messages occur. Users may face a number of difficulties due to this problem, which has the potential to significantly decrease Windows performance or even crash active systems.
The QuickBooks 404 error can appear when QuickBooks is unable to connect to the Intuit servers. An apology to the user for the inconvenience and information about the shutdown of the operation may be included in the error message that is displayed along with this runtime error.
It is crucial to understand the causes of and solutions for error 404 because it prevents users from working on QB.
QuickBooks Error 404: What Causes It?
As we’ve already mentioned, one of the most frequent causes of the error message “404 not found” is the Windows firewall or antivirus software. The following is a list of all the other factors that contributed to the error:
- There are issues with your QuickBooks Desktop’s installation.
- Registry issues exist with Windows.
- Error Code 404 can be brought on by general browser problems, such as excessive cache and cookies or interruptions from third-party plugins.
- QuickBooks or Windows files have malware or virus infections.
- If your internet connection is not working properly.
- The missing or deleted files that QuickBooks needs to function can result in error code 404.
Starting the 404 error troubleshooting process would be difficult without knowing the causes. Let’s learn how to resolve a 404 error now that we are aware of the triggers.
Steps for Fixing QuickBooks Update Error 404
You can fix error 404 by using the troubleshooting techniques listed below:
Check the settings for your internet connection
- Visit www.google.com with Internet Explorer to see if you have a functioning internet connection.
- If the website cannot be accessed, check your internet connection settings to see if there are any problems.
- Open the QuickBooks application and select Internet Connection Setup from the Help menu if you can visit other websites.
- Select the Use my Computer’s Internet Connection Options option under the Internet connection settings.
- Click Next, followed by Done.
Verify your antivirus and firewall settings
- On your desktop, click Start, then type “Firewall” into the search bar.
- To open the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security, click it.
- If your firewall has prevented QuickBooks services from using your Internet connection, check your firewall settings.
- Take QuickBooks services off the list of prohibited programmes.
- Open the firewall in your antivirus programme and remove any QuickBooks services from the prohibited list if that doesn’t work.
NOTE: You might need to contact your antivirus support for specific instructions on removing QuickBooks from the blocked list of your antivirus.
Clean out your junk files and use a private browser
When accessing websites, junk files kept in your browser and plugins you’ve enabled might frequently cause an error 404. With the help of the below methods, we’ll first delete any unnecessary files from your browser and put it in private mode so that no plugins load when you visit any page.
- Go to the settings by opening the browser you use to access QuickBooks Online and selecting the appropriate link.
- Locate Cache and Cookies by using the settings’ search function.
- Choose the option to clear your browser’s cache and cookies completely.
- Right-click the browser’s desktop icon after quitting the browser.
- To see if the error 404 has been fixed, choose Private or Incognito Mode and try to access your QuickBooks Online account.
Look for any infections on Windows
- You need to have an antivirus programme installed on your Windows PC for this troubleshooting step.
- Use an antivirus that is already installed to check for and remove infections from your computer. If not, do it right away by downloading and installing a malware and virus eradication programme.
To fix and reinstall QBs Desktop app, go here
- Common application installation errors will be fixed by repairing QuickBooks, which will eliminate the 404-error notice from QuickBooks. You must use the Clean Install Tool to reinstall the software if fixing it is ineffective. To fix QuickBooks, adhere to step 4 of the troubleshooting guide in the article QuickBooks Desktop Error 80029c4a.
- To reinstall QuickBooks, adhere to troubleshooting step 5 from our article on How to Fix Error 1328.
The settings on your internet
- Open Internet Explorer and select the Tools tab’s Internet option.
- Select the option for trustworthy sites under the Security tab, then click Sites.
- You should add QuickBooks.com and Intuit.com to your trusted websites list.
- Close the window, click OK, then log out of QuickBooks.
- Access the company file where you originally received the 404 error by reopening QuickBooks.
NOTE: It is normal and not an error if you receive error #404 when selecting the Service Messages option in the Update QuickBooks box.
These troubleshooting procedures will usually help you to solve your problem. However, other customers claim that even after troubleshooting, they continue to receive the same issue. Call one of our Desktop Troubleshooting Experts at +1-866-973-9785 for assistance if you are experiencing the QuickBooks error 404 message as well.