- November 29, 2022
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Quickbooks
We’ll talk about one of the most typical 15XXX series errors that impacts QuickBooks today, Error 15106, in this article. Every time a user attempts to update QuickBooks or payroll, they are greeted with the error notice “Error 15106: The update software is damaged, or Error 15106: The update application cannot be accessed.” Error 15106 mostly impacts the update function. QuickBooks payroll update issues, unlike other 15XXX series errors, are typically caused by a lack of administrator access and firewall restrictions on the QuickBooks update service.Please read the entire article until the end for information in detail as we have covered the causes and fixes for QuickBooks Desktop error 15106 in more detail.
What is Error 15106 While Updating QuickBooks Payroll?
A piece of software called the Windows Installer aids in installing and removing programmes and updates on the Windows operating system. Some applications start reporting issues during the update when the installer becomes damaged or corrupted. Due to a broken or corrupted Microsoft installer, QuickBooks is doomed to the same destiny. Therefore, QuickBooks update problem 15106 can occur when the user tries to install QuickBooks or update the payroll.
Therefore, if you experience QuickBooks Payroll Error 15106, you must take all necessary actions to fix the installer and get rid of any third-party programmes that are harming the installer file.
What Causes QuickBooks to Encounter QB Desktop Update Error 15106?
Error 15106 occurs when the QuickBooks installer file becomes corrupt for unknown reasons or when the user does not have the necessary permissions to carry out the update on Windows, among other causes that might result in issues when updating payroll or installing updates for QuickBooks. All the possible causes of QuickBooks Payroll Update Error 15106 are listed below.
- QuickBooks installation fails to install all the additional components those are later required to update the application and payroll.
- You might have installed Web Root antivirus application on your computer that detects QuickBooks installer as a potential threat and blocks its operations on Windows.
- If your user account does not have Windows administrative rights then also you might get QuickBooks Update Error 15106.
- Windows User Account Control settings are set to high, which eventually interferes with QuickBooks update.
- Third-party antivirus or anti-malware programs obstructing QuickBooks update process.
- QuickBooks error code 15106 may appear if the user doesn’t have adequate Microsoft management permissions.
- Spy Sweeper program in the WebRoot anti-virus can also hinder the update procedure through error 15106 QuickBooks.
Aftereffects of QuickBooks Error 15106
When QuickBooks error 15106 infects the application, it causes the following consequences:
- QuickBooks starts displaying the error message, “Error 15106: The update program cannot get opened.” and a warning stating,” Error 15106: The update program is damaged.”
- The application doesn’t download the tools and components necessary to upgrade the software and paychecks later.
- Since the update procedure gets hindered, users are unable to use QB features and functions properly.
- Users may notice their system hanging or freezing for a while.
- The mouse and keyboard inputs garner no response, and Windows performs sluggishly.
- The active program may crash and freeze and perform slowly.
Such an impact causes a lot of annoyance to the user. Therefore, the following troubleshooting steps need to be implemented to rectify error 15106 QuickBooks.
Steps to Resolve QuickBooks Payroll Update Error 15106
Ensure to follow the steps mentioned below to get rid of the frustrating QB error 15106:
Login with an Administrator Account on Your Computer
- Click the Start button and select Control Panel or press Windows + R key and type Control Panel inthe Run Window and press Enter.
- Select User Accounts and Family Safety and then click User Accounts.
- Hit Manage another account and enter the admin password if prompted.
- If your account is already an administrator account, move on to the next troubleshooting step; if not, ask your IT administrator to give your user administrative powers. You can see the account type directly beneath the account name. For further information about logging in as an administrator on Windows, click the link.
Reset QuickBooks Updates
Open QuickBooks Desktop and select Update QuickBooks under the Help tab.
Select Mark all under the Options tab.
Hit Save and then navigate to the Update Now tab.
Check-mark Reset Update now checkbox and click Get Updates.
If you are, still getting Error 15106 while updating payroll then follow the next step.
Repair QuickBooks Desktop Installation
- Press Windows + R on keyboard and type command “appwiz.cpl” and press Enter.
- From the list of installed programs under the Uninstall or Change a Program window scroll down anddouble-click QuickBooks.
- Select Change / Remove and click Next.
- Make sure the Repair option is selected and click Next.
- Hit Repair to start repairing QuickBooks installation for removing QuickBooks Error message 15106.
- In case if you get an error message File in Use, then select Ignore and proceed with the Repair.
- Once the repair is completed, restart your computer and open QuickBooks application.
- Select Install Now when you get the QuickBooks has recently downloaded an update window.
Remove WebRoot Spyware Sweeper
- Click the Start button on your Windows desktop and select Control Panel.
- Choose Add / Remove Programs.
- Double-click WebRoot from the list and click Uninstall/Remove.
- Select Uninstall and click Next.
- Follow on-screen instructions to completely remove the application from Windows.
- Restart your computer and try installing QuickBooks updates once again.
- Follow the given link for more detailed information on Removing WebRoot from Windows.
- You can reinstall WebRoot following the update if the problem was resolved after being removed. To prevent future occurrences of QuickBooks problem 15106, you can also add QuickBooks and its related services, such as qbupdate.exe, QBDBMgrN.exe, and QBW32.exe, to the program’s exclusion list.
Rename QuickBooks Update Folder after Disabling your Antivirus
- Open Windows Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys together.
- Now right-click your antivirus service. (For E.g. Avast ->avast.exe, Norton -> norton.exe)
- Select End Task option and click Yes on the confirmation prompt.
- Now navigate to the QuickBooks installation folder using Windows File Explorer.
- Usually QuickBooks gets installed at C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks(year)\Components folder.
- Right-click the folder named downloadqb20 or downloadqb19, and select Rename.
- Add OLD at the end of the folder name and try to update QuickBooks once again.
Disable (UAC) User Account Control from Windows Settings
- If you are using Windows 10, then directly search UAC from Cortana search.
- If you are on some other Windows operating system, then click the Windows Start Button and select Control Panel.
- Now search User Account Control from the search bar at the top-right.
- Click User Account Control Settings and move the Slider to Never Notify.
- Click OK to save the changes.
Reinstall QuickBooks using QuickBooks Clean Install Tool in Windows Safe Mode
Make a backup of your firm files, critical information, QuickBooks licence key, and product details before starting this stage. After moving to selected startup mode, log in to the system as follows. It will make sure there are no interruptions from outside programmes.
- Press Windows + R keys together, and the Run Window will open.
- Type the command ‘MSConfig’ in the search field and hit OK.
- Under the General tab, you will notice the option Selective Startup Mode. Click it and further hit the Load the System Services option.
- Next, move to the Services tab and select the option that says Hide all Microsoft services.
- Tick the checkbox for Hide all Microsoft Services and opt for the Disable all option.
- Ensure to tick mark the Windows Installer service checkbox from the services list.
- Lastly, reboot the system to apply the alterations.
Reinstalling QB Desktop is the next step after restarting the machine and starting it in selected startup mode. You have the opportunity to uninstall any programme from the control panel. Reinstalling is possible from CDs, hard drives, or the internet (official sources).
Once the re-installation finishes, you need to switch back to the normal mode. Restore the system settings to the normal configuration as follows:
- Launch the Run window (Windows + R), type MSConfig, and press Enter.
- Move to the General tab then hit the Normal startup option, and press OK.
- Hit the Restart option on the system configuration window.
Alternatively, you can consider the following sources:
- To switch your Windows follow this article by Microsoft.
- Now use QuickBooks Clean Install Tool to install a fresh copy of QuickBooks Desktop.
If the aforementioned procedures do not successfully remove Error number 15106 from QuickBooks, call our experts at +1-866-973-9785 for additional help. To thoroughly remove QuickBooks Error 15106 from your computer, we might need to arrange a remote session with you.